Subject: Re: M6 Titanium
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 1997 21:29:28 -0500

At 08:55 PM 02-01-97 -0000, Claes wrote:
>Thank you, Chris, Dan C, Ben W and Dan Kong!
>
>Disagreement always brings out the very best arguments.

See my recent  (and last) post on the subject of Titanium Leicas!

I own both a recent version of the 35/1.4 summilux as well as a 35/1.4
aspheric (first version).  It was my original goal to sell the old 35 when
the aspheric arrived (I was on a long waiting list for it), but I find that
for normal shooting the old lens is every bit as good, and is smaller and
less obtrusive than the aspheric.  It is also much less valuable and I worry
less when using it.  The old lens is terrible wide open (I mean real bad!),
but is terrific once it is opened up a stop or two.  I once made an 11x14
print from TMAX 100 film at a photo workshop.  A fellow student thought that
the print was made from 4x5!.   Actually, the "badness" of the old lens at
1.4 can be used to interesting advantage (if you are looking for a soft
focus lens, for instance).

Used copies of the regular 35/1.4 are quite reasonably priced, and there
seem to be lots of them available (it was made for so many years!).  Unless
you are wealthy, or really need that 1.4 f stop, or are crazy (me), then you
should be quite happy with the non-aspheric 35/1.4.

Dan C.