Subject: Re: Diminishing Market
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 1997 10:54:17 -0800

J. Redfern wrote:

> >She said that the market has changed so quickly since 1989-90 when he
> >shot the book, that she didn't think he would be able to do such a
> >project today.  And the book itself was not a serious source of income
> >for him.
>
> In what way would the book market be changing? I seem to recall reading
> somewhere that the last few years have been bumper years for the photo book
> industry with numbers of books published being high. (Certainly the numbers
> on the shelves of the stores would seem to bear this out)
>         I also would have thought that Lantig's sort of stuff would be in
> VERY high demand as the average book store shelf is drowning in animal/eco
> coffee table volumes.
> "J"

I'm sorry.  That wasn't very clear.  The point was that to do a book
like Okavango requires an enormous amount of money--and that kind of
money seems to be drying up.  Without the NGS funding the trip and the
book being comprised of essentially free pictures, it would not have
been a viable venture.

A few months ago I saw a book called Eternal Mexico shot by Robert
Frerck (sp?).  A simply beautiful book that followed his equally nice
Eternal Spain.  I looked him up in ASMP directory and called him to
complement him on the book.  We ended up talking for about 45 minutes.
His travel and photo production expenses for the book (excluding both
his time and printing) was $45,000.  He managed to sign on a number of
sponsors who received copies of the book for public relations use, and
that covered the expenses.  He didn't expect the book to make him any
real money, but figured the stock sales of the images and the marketing
value of the book would lead to more assignments.

I recommend the book.  Shot with new model Fuji 617 mostly, and a few
Canon 35mm.  Superb reproduction.  A heartfelt book of landscapes and
ancient ruins.

BTW, I understand that Joel Maeyerwitz book Cape Cod Light, shot in
8x10, led to him picking up a cigarette account shooting people in 35mm.
Go figure.

- --Donal Philby
  San Diego