Subject: Re: 100 F4 Macro-R
From: Bill Christensen <kangwei@interaccess.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 1997 16:40:45 -0600

seungmin@luxmail.luxcom.com wrote:

>      Hi,
>
>        I have heard and read that the lens is one of the black sheep of
>      Leica lens family that I should try to avoid unless it is offered very
>      cheap.  I wonder if this is true.  I would appropriate any info on
>      this.
>
>      Regards,
>      David
>      seungmin@luxcom.com

The 100 f4 lens provides good image quality but does not come close to
the 100 APO macro in terms of nuances of color transmission and detail.
After much soul searching, I finally traded in the 100 f4 macro for the
100 APO macro about 2 years ago.  It was a step that I have not
regretted for a moment except for the burning hole in my bank account.
Overall, the f4 100 lens provides "satisfactory" images but I long
considered it to be the weaker of my 6 or 7 R optics.  My recommendation
is to search for a mint 100 APO lens.