Subject: Re: tripod poll
From: Bill Welch <Bill.Welch@Pressroom.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 1997 21:08:14 -0800

Mark_Bishop@ipc.co.uk wrote:

> I myself prefer to
> avoid using a tripod, almost at all costs, with my M6.
>
> I believe that the genius of the Leica rangefinder is its ability to capture
> reality as it is, without intruding upon or changing it. To put up a tripod is
> often to change and interrupt a scene; even where people are not present, the
> perfect grainlessless, clarity and full depth-of-field of a low-light tripod
> shot is out of keeping with how the human eye sees it.

I suppose that's one way to look at it. But really, a tripod is a light
extender. I use one all the time to get pictures in darkness at slow
shutter speeds where there is no other alternative except for flash. And
talk about changing a scene. I never use flash when I can avoid it.

A camera, whether a Leica or a Diana, is just a tool. Nothing more. Use
tools to realize the vision you have.

The tripod poll may be over, but for what it's worth, I use Gitzos -- a
100 series that is light to pack and will go in a suitcase, and a heavier
200 series when more stability is required. I highly recommend them. The
Mountaineer composite is great too. And so is the Leitz table pod.

Bill Welch