Subject: Leica Assembly - Tidbit
From: bholmes@frii.com (Ben Holmes)
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 23:13:00 -0700 (MST)

I have learned from technical service at Leica that both the eyepeice lens
and the little bezel that surrounds the shutter release button are "crimp
fit" in place. Someone mentioned a Leica service station using a special
"machine" to install the eyepeice on his M6. It is actually a hand tool that
works like a plier and puts a small crimp in either side of the barrel of
the eyepeice. A similiar tool is used to install the screw-down bezel on the
shutter release button. If you look at a recent example of the M6, there are
two such crimps (little dimples) at 3 'oclock and 9 'oclock on the edges of
the eyepeice. This was the factory's solution to lost eyepeices.

As for the battery cover problem: a tech at Leica USA says to use "wooden
Q-tips" or, I suppose, any wooden stick of similiar size to tighten the
cover. By jamming the ends of the sticks into the knurling you can apply
considerable force without damage to the cover's surface. I've tried a tiny
orthodontic rubber band as a gasket between the cover and the camera body.
It seems to work fine.

Just some thoughts.

Regards,

Ben W. Holmes