Subject: Re: HC110 Developing
From: "Roger Suppona" <suppona@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 19:28:25 +0000

> I am interested in Tmax, because it promises to offer less grain than TriX.
> I find the grain in TriX objectionable when I need to print on 8x10.

Chris,

Tri-x and Rodinal make for wonderful tonality and all the grain you
can eat.  If you like the look of Rodinal/TX but want to manage the
grain, try this:  Dump a film can full of sodium sulphite into a
liter of water and mix well.  Dilute your Rodinal in this instead of
plain water.  The sodium sulphite will tame the grain.  It will also
accelerate your developing times.  Try a 10% reduction in time to
start.

As a point of clarification (for anyone  who might assume Rodinal is
a "grainy" developer), Rodinal is a "high-acutance" developer.  That
means it does little or nothing a film's inherent grain structure.
"Fine-grain" developers don't cause fine-grain, they nibble at the
edges of the grain (or the clumps of grain), eliminiating the sharp
edges that define the grain.  Rodinal is best suited for medium and
slow speed films like TMX, Agfapan 100, Agfapan 25, etc.

If it's beautiful grain you want, try TMZ at E.I. 1200 in 1:50
Rodinal (no sulfite!) for about 11 minutes at 68F.  Beautiful stuff
with the right light and subject.

Oh, if you haven't tried it, pick up some of Kodak's new Xtol
developer.  D-76's out of my darkroom and Rodinal is begging for a
second chance.

Roger