Subject: Re: Help Please - Leica IIIC Price
From: bholmes@frii.com (Ben Holmes)
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 14:19:27 -0700 (MST)

>I found Ben's data MOST interesting though, alas!, the actual selling prices
>seem to be far below this.  Ben, does this data come from the 'Bug?

Marc, about 30-40% come from SB, the rest come from the web, the news papers
and free-classified rags in my area. I have to be careful in that a small
number of minty examples can skew (screw) up my numbers. There are sources
in the SB mag that I will not include (no names mentioned), but others are
spot on. I include serial numbers with my data and use it really as a guide
when buying things. When I see a completed trade on Usenet I usually query
the seller as to price and condition - I get a serial number when they are
willing.

I don't try to participate in the collector market so the Mint prices are of
little value to me. What I have learned is the relative value of the various
features of these cameras (RD vs BD, ST, PV, etc.) Also I've gained a pretty
solid feel for various dealers' rating systems, for what this is worth. This
helps me to avoid getting "nailed" on a purchase. An interesting inventory
is Woodmere. They are pretty consistant, although somewhat on the high side.

You are right about actual selling prices. The adage about cash being king
holds true in this market.

I'm not trying to hit homeruns on deals - singles and doubles are much
easier to find. If I can buy something $100-200 cheap, I know I have room to
resell it. Patience seems to be the key.

Regards,

Ben W. Holmes

Boulder, CO
USA