Subject: Re: Leica MR Meter - How do YOU use?
From: pmkramer@worldnet.att.net (Peter Kramer)
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 1997 11:46:26 -0600

Mel,

Reply with your snail-mail address, & I'll send you a xerox of my
manual.

One thing you may wish to check is the type of battery you're using.
Since mercury is such a bad thing these days, most stores stock the
silver-oxide replacement, which is 1.5v rather than 1.35v. Also, it's
discharge rate is different than the mercury, which leads to exposure
error. The silver-oxide are supposed to decay gradually, and the mercury
oxide have a "cliff" effect, flat discharge, then sudden death.

A few days ago, there was some discussion on the list regarding voltage
regulation in meters. I have been told by a service tech that most older
meters that use the PX13/625 type batteries _do_not_ have voltage
regulation. The same tech said he could recalibrate the meter for silver
oxide, but it would only be accurate mid-range. Very high or very low
light levels would be off by as much as one stop. His suggestion was to
calibrate for my typical shooting environment, and learn to compensate.

Since the local photo shop stocks the VARTA and Eveready mercury oxide
batteries (some judge decided that there wasn't enough mercury in them
to cause harm, something about not enough Leica shooters left), I have
not recalibrated.

Another thing, the darn meter is so small, and the markings so
Teutonicly precise, slight misalignment of ASA, f-stop and shutter speed
can lead to errors. I find I've reached the age where I need my glasses
to use the thing!

As regards testing, my manual says the needle has to be on the dot. Even
slightly below means replace battery. The manual also Germanicly
instructs to use only Mallory PX625 and no others (and then admits that
Mallory PX13s can be used at temperatures greater than 14F.)

Best regrads,

Pete (the kraut) Kramer
Oklahoma City