Subject: metering an older M3
From: Stephen Kobrin <kobrin2@xman.wharton.upenn.edu>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 08:36:58 -0500 (EST)

Ben Holmes raised a question about metering an older M3 given that the
progression of shutter speeds is 50, 100 and then 250 and 500.  I have a
relatively early double stroke with the older speed sequence and find that
the problem is easily solved when using the Leica meter (I have the MR4).
At a 50th and above the meter reads accurately between the engraved speeds.
Since the meter is coupled to the camera and the shutter speed dial "clicks"
at 50 and 100, I just set the meter using the M3's speeds rather than using
the meter's engraved dial.  It is very easy to feel the shutter speed dial
clicking into the "grove" at any speed.  Thus, the meter "reads" accurately
at a 50th and a 100th.

However, when I use my other meters, I just read the closest speed, e.g. 125
instead of 100th.  While I may make a mental adjustment if the meter reading
is between stops, I am not sure that one can really tell the difference
between 100th and 125th, even with slide film. Perhaps I am less
discriminating than others.

Steve