Subject: Re: Leica M5 vs M6
From: Stephen Gandy <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 22:35:24 -0800

Marc James Small wrote:

> At 06:26 PM 1/24/97 -0800, Stephen Gandy wrote:
>
> >At the moment, M5's are selling for much more than M6's in the same
> >condition due to collector interest.
>
> Close but not quite on target.  At the moment, per a quick rush through
> Cyberspace to check some of the Big Dealers' Web Pages and a slightly more
> leisurely brush through the current 'Bug reveals that three-lug M5's are
> running neck-in-neck with M6's of equal condition, but that two-lug M5's are
> running about 75% of that.

Don't believe everything you read Mark.

Mint M6 bodies, whether black or chrome, regularly sell at the West
Coast Shows over the table to the public in the $1700-1800 range.
Recently the prices of Leicas have dropped as the new public company
seek to move merchandise.  A few advertisers in Popular have adjusted to
the new prices, advertising bodies for $1950 or so new.

I regularly see Mint black M5 bodies quickly sell in the $2200 range,
with the rarer chrome bodies quickly selling in the $2900 range.

Stephen Gandy