Subject: Foam in cameras
From: jdrouin@islandnet.com (Jamie Drouin)
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 1997 08:18:24 -0800

>> Two weeks ago I was getting ready for a ten day visit
>> to Paris. I got out my R4 and opened the back to blow out
>> any dust. Lo and behold I discovered that the foam gaskets
>> in the door and camera back had crumbled to tiny pieces
>> and had fallen into the camera.

        This is quite common, and in fact ALL foam in cameras (and those
lovely hardshell camera cases) will eventually either dry up and crumble
away or, worse, turn into a horrible sticky mess.  Such is the case with a
padded case sold with the Macro Realist from the early 1970's.  Owners are
now opening these cases to find their camera and accessories FUSED to the
now sticky mess that was once foam.  I assume Leica replaces this foam
during regular cleaning & adjusting.

                                                    Jamie.

Jamie Drouin (jdrouin@islandnet.com)
    Photographer & collector of