Subject: ISO v. DIN
From: bholmes@frii.com (Ben Holmes)
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 1997 12:05:12 -0700 (MST)

I've been giving a lot of thought to the different film sensitivity scales,
ISO and DIN. Given the algorithmically progressive scale of ISO and the
mathematically progressive scale of DIN I've begun to beleive that DIN makes
more sense.

ISO progresses at ever increasing increments 100:200, 200:400, etc. It
follows that trying to calculate fractional stop increments is difficult at
best. DIN degrees are metered in even increments: 1 degree DIN is equal to
1/3 stop anywhere on the scale. The M6 film speed dial is calibrated in both
so this is easily born out by comparing the two scales.

Anybody have an opinion on this? I guess it's easily compared to the
imperial and metric systems of weights and measures. I'm finding it (DIN)
easier to use when pulling film and calculating development times.

Just a thought for those of you who ACTUALLY use their cameras.

,/8^|