Subject: Re: 85-90 M and SM lenses
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 19:43:14 -0500

One aspect to be remembered -- and on this Erwin Puts and I seem to
disagree, though I will assuredly allow him to speak for himself! -- is that
the primary purpose of 'improvements' in lens design has been to reduce
production costs.

Older lenses were often labour-intensive to make.  Manufacturers have
strived to produce newer lenses which are of EQUAL quality while reducing
production costs.  A lot of older designs are quite acceptable optically and
mere 'newness' means little in terms of relative quality.  A 1940
seven-element lens may produce results remarkably akin to those from, say, a
modern five-element design.

Optical parameters have shifted a bit with time, and, for instance, modern
lens design tends to emphasize 'colour saturation' a bit more than older
lenses did.  Even so, I would warrant that a World War II 1.5/50 Sonnar in
LTM used on an M6 with an adapter would produce an image which only the most
hawk-eyed of our number could sort from a shot taken with a
current-production 1.4/50 Summilux.

The original 2.8/90 was a five-element design.  Was it a 'bad' lens?  No.
Is the current four-element 2.8/90 a 'better' lens?  By optical standards,
yes:  but it's the third version of the telephoto design produced by
Leitz/Leica, and they've had a lot of years to improve it.  And, cranking in
the difference in cost, that used Elmarit can look mighty attractive when
compared to the new-car-in-the-driveway cost of the current Elmarit-M!

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!