Subject: Re: 85-90 Nikkor lens for SLR !! (off topic)
From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@apple.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 97 01:30:45 -0800

>       What Nikkor lens do you think is best in 80 to 135 range for SLR?

David, I'm assuming you are asking about Nikkor lenses for Nikon SLRs.
Nikon's 105/2.5 SLR lens, which has been around since the early '60s
in all the minor variations of the Nikon SLR lens mount, I believe,
is one of the best lenses in this range ever made. The 85/1.8
in the pre-AI mount is another lens which has legendary status. The
85/2 AI mount lens has a more variable reputation, it seems, but my
example of it is superb and the equal of the 85/1.8 which I had
before.

I've had all three, still have both the 105/2.5 and 85/2, and it's very
difficult to tell them apart from the negatives when you're judging
contrast and sharpness. The 135/2.8 I have is not quite as crisp as
any of these three, and I haven't tried the 105 Micro or 85/1.4, or other
Nikkor lenses in this range, I've also never owned any AF mount Nikkors.

ObLeica: I don't know if it's possible to use any of these lenses on
a Leica SLR with an adapter and still focus to infinity.

Godfrey