Subject: Re: Hologon 16mm Experience
From: "Hubert Nowotny" <hubertn@mail.ctr.co.at>
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 17:02:36 +0100

Richard,

I've seen the results a friend of mine had with the lens. Sharp,
brilliant, beautiful colors and a thrilling feeling from the super
wide angle. Think about this outstanding possibility of owning such a
brilliant super-wide _without_ the need for retrofocus construction!

Therefore I bought the lens and had it modified for the Leica;
it costed a fortune; je ne regret rien. (I don't feel sorry about it).

My own first film is still on the processing way, so I've not got own
results, but I've seen slides made with the Hologon (16 mm if I'm
correct, not 15 as the old one was as far as I remember) and its
worth all the money.

Also, the conversion to Leica has to be expensive as it's a difficult
piece of craftsmanship and requires mastership (or, if you have it
done the cheap way, you will recognize this fact on all your pictures
shot with the lens ...).

And, you should consider to dedicate an M body as home of the
Hologon, put it on and never release it. Because of its exposed
situation the rear lens is extremely vulnerable (and a scratch
_would_ be a pity, wouldn't it?)

BUT you should decide quickly; rumour has it that the lens is yet out of
production and the 2500 pieces which have been made until August
are the only pieces which are made of this lens at the given time.

(So my working kit is completed to 16 / 21 / 35 / 50 / 90 mm w/ three
bodies, to add to another thread of these days
 (M4 press, home of the Hologon; M6; M6J).)

HTH and have a fine day
Hubert

> Richard Clompus wrote:
> >
> > Dear Leica Users,
> >
> > I am considering the purchase of a Zeiss Hologon - wide angle now available
> > for the Contax and then have it modified for my M6.  Has any one out there
> > actually used this lens?  I would like to try one for a weekend but haven't
> > asked my dealer for a loaner on a Contax.

> > Richard Clompus
> > Pennsylvania, USA
>
> The lens has had great test reviews in the magazines, although I
> have no experience with it.
>
> The cost of a conversion has been excessive,  more than the cost of a M6
> body!
>
> Unless you can get a great deal on the conversion, it would be much
> cheaper, as well as more versatile, if you just kept a Contax body for
> that lens.

Well, surely not a bad idea (and by far cheaper than any conversion
plus extra M body, as I did). BUT: It's a Contax, not a Leica ...

> Stephen Gandy

* Von/From: HUBERT NOWOTNY, CTR Hatzenberger & Nowotny OEG
* A-1040 Wien/Vienna, Kettenbrueckengasse 16 (Austria, Europe ...)
* Tel ++43-1- 586 20 22 - 0, Fax ++43-1- 586 20 22 - 24
* hubertn@ctr.co.at, http://www.ctr.co.at/ctr/