Subject: Re: 35 mm M lenses
From: "Charles E. Love, Jr." <cel14@cornell.edu>
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 13:52:46 -0500 (EST)

At 03:01 PM 1/30/97 +0000, you wrote:

>.With
>all the discussion on 35mm versus 50mm,I was surprised that nobody
>addressed  the issue of which 35mm M lens is
>preferred,Previously, I asked the users views about their experience with
>the Summicron in comparison with the Summilux at moderate apertures.
>Any opinions?

There has been a great deal about this on this list--you could check the
archives, which are reputed to exist.  Generally, though, the received
opinion is this:  The 35 f2 is an excellent lens at all apertures, with the
later version a bit better.  The now-discontinued 35 1.4 Summilux is an old
design (1961) and suffers from flare and coma at wide openings, though some
think of this as giving the lens character.  At middle apertures, my
experience is that this lens is OK, but the Summicron is better, and anyway
why buy the 35 1.4 if you don't need the 1.4?  There have been two 35 1.4
aspherics, and both are reputed to be wonderful at all apertures, with some
disagreement about which is a hair better.  I suppose it depends on whether
you're up to mortgaging your house!

Good luck in your search--Charlie

Charles E. Love, Jr.
CEL14@CORNELL.EDU