Subject: B&W Printing
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1997 10:01:24 -0800

LUGnuts:

BTW, across the street from my studio is the lab (called In House Lab) of
Gene Nocon.  While he grew up in San Diego, he spent 20 years in London
printing for all the greats--Norman Parkinson, Sieff (in Paris), Don
McCullum, Linda McCartney, as a sample.   He too wrote book, developed a
compensating timer for printing and had a column in one of the Darkroom
magazines for many years.  Several years ago returned to San Diego.  I feel
very fortunate to have someone I can hand film to, have him P&P, select an
image or two, print them, and deliver to client without my seeing anything.

Plus he is a nice fellow, and every Friday evening has an open house to
answer questions about photography and printmaking.

He has Leica Ms sitting in drawers and too busy to shoot.  But has said he
prefers to print from Leica negs.

A good share of his work is from out of town, the same loyal customers
from London, NY, etc.

Donal Philby
San Diego