Subject: Re: Focomat 1c & V35
From: Bill Welch <Bill.Welch@Pressroom.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1997 19:13:51 -0800

ATANOVIC@genre.com wrote:

> Adrian Tanovic@GRN
> 02/04/97 02:44 PM
>
> >From: Bill Welch <Bill.Welch@Pressroom.com>
> >Date: Mon, 03 Feb 1997 23:09:32 -0800
> >Subject: Re: Kodak/Ilford consistency;  V35
> >
> >The beauty of the black-and-white VC heads, such as
> >Saunders makes for its line, is that the exposure compensation
> >is built in. Perhaps there is a module for your enlarger that does
> > that.
> >
> >For black and white work, I usually use a Leitz Focomat Ic
>
> Hi Bill;  There were many different varieties of the 1c, which one are you
> using?  Am I right in believing it would have come with either the 50mm
> Elmar 3.5 or one of two variants of the 50mm Focotar 4.5?
>
> By the way, there is a VC head for the V35 that does what you
> describe---i.e. provide variable contrast filtration with built-in exposure
> compensation---and is moreover calibrated to the Ilford Multigrade system.
> I normally print Oriental Seagull VC (also on the Ilford standard) using
> it, with no particular problems other than the usual self-inflicted kind.
> Using Kodak papers with the head requires some additional exposure
> adjustment on the softer settings.
>
> I've never tried to use the dichro colour head for B+W printing, so I can't
> comment on that, but Seck's 'Leica Darkroom Practice' seems to contain a
> pretty good exposition if one were so inclined.
>
> Adrian Tanovic
> Tokyo

	Adrian, Thanks for your informative post. I've wanted a V35, and
now even more so. I'd definitely want to try that VC head. I have that
book too and should have thought to reread it.
	My Focomat is a fairly early one, I'd guess. It has the black
finish and lacks a filter drawer. (I take the top off to put a filter
inside.) Yes, it came with the 50mm Focotar and requires a short spacing
tube to put the lens at the correct position. I forget the Leitz name
for that. I don't know which version of the lens this is. What
distinguishes them?
	By the way, Leica USA still had parts for the Focomat when I
purchased my used model a few years ago. I had to purchase a few parts,
and the folks in New Jersey were very helpful in discussing what I needed
and coming up with them. Since then I've seen several newer versions that
appeared to be in top condition.
	Mine yields good results -- very sharp and contrasty. However,
when I do a standard gray test, I do get a small lighter spot or two. I
suppose that is caused by the condenser, though I've cleaned it
thoroughly. Maybe a LUG has solved this problem before.

Bill Welch