Subject: Re: Leica slide projector
From: "O.J. Anshus" <otto@cs.uit.no>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 1997 09:52:22 +0100

> From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
> Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 22:07:26 +0800 (SGT)
> Subject: Leica slide projector
>
> I am looking at buying a slide projector.  One shop has ex-stock, a P150
> with 85mm Hektor 2.8 lens.  I am told that I can get a  better projector as
> Leica makes an up market model.   What is the model number of this better
> projector?
>
> I can also choose to buy a Colorplan lens P2.  Another is the Colorplan P2
> CF.  What is the difference between the P2 and the P2 CF?

A while ago I tried the Pradovit 150, 300, 600 and 2002 models side by
side in my own home. I also tried the Colorplan lens in the 150, 300,
600 and 2002, and the Super Colorplan lens in the 300 and 2002.

I ended up getting the 2002 with the Super Colorplan lens. My reasons
were:

- -The 2002 never jammed on any slide. Even using old paper framed sides
in cassettes for 3mm frames went smoothly. With the other projectors the
paper framed slides jammed on about every 5th slide.

- -The 2002 had the slides popping less. This may be due to a better
cooling of the slides.

- -The remote control of the 2002 is MUCH better than on the other
projectors. The feel and precision is very good.

- -The slide change takes little time (but the 600 is also very good).

- -The connect between the body and the lens is closer and tighter than on
the others.

- -The look and feel and solidity of the 2002 makes me want to use it
(what can I say).

The 2002 was bettered by the 600 on these areas:

- -Autofocus speed. However, the 2002 was more than fast enough.

- -Noise. The van and slide changing mechanism is slightly more noisier on
the 2002.

- -The picture moves sideways a tiny bit on the 2002 when doing manual
focusing. Most people would never notice.

- -The 2002 can just use the Leica LKM magaznes and the traditional styled
Leica magazines. The others take one or two other types as well (Agfa CS
and, on the 600, some kind of a carousel magazine).

I could see little difference between the Colorplan vs the Super
Colorplan. Prhaps the Super had a little bit more brillians, but I am
not sure. I never got my hands on the Colorplan CF.

> All said, should I be looking at a Kodak carousel projector instead?

These are rare where I live. I have never tried one. But the idea of
swithing slides by dropping them do sound to be a better _design_ than
sliding them. If implemented correctly, I would expect this to reduce
jamming. But this is just speculation on my part.

> Thanks.
>
> Dan

Otto