Subject: Re: Leica RF Competitors
From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 21:43:33 -0800

A major (marketing) difference betweeen Leica and Contax was the 1/1250
shutter speed on the Contax.  I think Leitz was only 1/500 in 1931.
The literature I have read indicated that the faster shutter was only
possible by moving vertically.... makes sense as the movement is 2/3 as
far.
There are old pictures showing the non-panned use of the camera with a
moving object.  The Contax showing less "distortion" ( a word I think they
did not use) than brand L.

I believe the TLR Contaflex shared this shutter design.

For what it's worth, the price on the Contax was 75-100% higher than
Leicas.  Lenses were likewise more expensive.  Zeiss made no qualms about
pricing to the top end of the market.

BTW the 21 Biogon had about the best color rendition and saturation and
contrast I have ever owned.