Subject: Re: Takeup Spool
From: Alan Bearden <healey@garnet.berkeley.edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 10:03:09 -0800

At 08:18 AM 2/14/97 -0800, you wrote:
>I am looking for an older gadget for M series Leica.
>There was sold an accessory for the wind spool in M series leicas for quick
>The old spool was removed, and the new one inserted.  With the new spool
>you could quickly load the film onto the take-up spool without removal.
>The item made the M3 as fast to load as a M4.
>
>Does anyone have the correct P/N for the spool?
>

>Thank You
>Frank Filippone
>red735i@worldnet.att.net

I don't have the number, but there is a problem with the Quick-Load takeup
spool for the M3.  The entry slot must be positioned to feed in the film
rather precisely.  This is done by pulling out the spool via a knurled
knob in the center.  The problem is that this knob is recessed and is
difficult to grasp.  In my hands, it is a tossup as to whether the Quick
Load is any quicker than than the standard removable takeup spool. Of course
it does save the threading operation and is somewhat less likely to get lost.

Alan Bearden