Subject: Re: should I keep the Leica?
From: Mark Bergman <BMWR100R@mwci.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 07:48:18 -0800

C. Fitzgerald wrote:

> Hi, I'm curious what you on this list think.
> 1) What's your opinion of using Leica, versus collecting?  Am I >correct to assume my Leica equipment will 'depreciate', if the use >shows, and on the other hand it will 'appreciate' if held and not used?

Buy stocks for investments.  Leicas maintain thier value well but are
not a money making device.  There are certain pieces made in limited
qualities or for varied reasons are worth much more than most Leicas.
If you bought your camera simply for resale value than by all means put
it in the closet.  Just like anything when someone is buying used (a
house, a car, whatever) they will pay a premium for something  that is
used but unused.

> 2)  Why do prices of used Leica drop astronomically if there is a tiny >mark or two on the equipment?  It seems it should be more important to >a buyer that a piece of equipment functions--ie the body has been used >regularly or recently gone over by Leica technicians.

For common equipment I don't believe they drop astronomically.  A truly
mint example will command a premium for the reason given about.  But
this is true for any camera.  A good example is an M3.  This is a truly
common camera that offers all the benifits of owning a Leica M series
camera.  A run of the mill example will run $800 to $1000.  A mint one
will run maybe $1200~1300.  This is versus a new M6 with a price of
$2700.  It's not collector status but based on utility.  The same thing
holds true for cars.  A mint low mileage 91 Buick is going to be worth a
whole lot more than the same model 91 Buick with 150,000 miles on it.

> 3)  Is a photographer crazy to sell Leica equip they love but doesn't >meet needs--cost versus return--of a 9-5 photography business?

Business is business,  would you buy a Corvette as a delivery van?  If
the Leica isn't what you need to make money then I think you know the
answer.

> 4)  How do I figure out how much equip is worth, should I actually > sell it?

Look in Shutterbug and if you advertise in Shutterbug you can price
accordingly.  If you advertise on the net drop your prices by 25 to 50%