Subject: list vs. newsgroup
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 09:50:18 -0500

I am in favor of keeping the LUG as a mailing list for the following reasons:

1)      the list is more reliable.  I find that a certain percentage of
postings to newsgroups never make it.  This can happen with email as well
but is much less prevalent.

2)      mailing lists are faster.  It can take as long as a week for a post
to a newsgroup to make its way to news servers around the world.  I have
verified this with the two ISPs that I currently subscribe to.

3)      news groups tend to become unruly, and there is going to be much non
leica related junk making its way into the group.  Moderating the group will
make the group that much more inefficient.

4)      people who pay access charges can read their email offline.  I don't
think this is possible with the newsgroups (apart from reading the headers)

One possible benefit of newsgroups is the ability of posting binaries (i.e.
photographs) for perusal from other LUG members.  The problem with this is
that technically binaries are not supposed to be posted to rec.*.* groups.

Just my opinions, FWIW.

Dan C.