Subject: Re: Pin Hole Leica
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 21:16:46 +0800 (SGT)

Don

Thank you for your input.

Firstly, to me,  photography is not only a medium of expression but also for
enjoyment and fun.  It is also a challenge to be able to expand the horizons
of photographic possibilities.  Using a pinhole lens is one of such
challenges and does not denigrate the fine qualities of Leica lenses.

Secondly,  I do not share your disdain for Zeiss lenses.  In fact I have the
greatest respect for the Zeiss optics which I am using on my Rolleis and
Hasselblad.

I also do not share your views on constructing a pinhole lens with a piece
of cardboard.  May I refer you to the book entitled, "Pinhole Photography -
Rediscovering a Historic Technique" by Eric Renner (Focal Press).  In it you
will find that the construction of a pinhole lens is an extremely precise
technique using brass shims and sometimes aliminium foil.  The same book
will also show you that this humble lens is capable of some amazing results.

Finally, I am aware that pinhole lenses are commercially produced and they
are made available for leica screwmount cameras.  Together with my Leica
lenses, I intend to expand my enjoyment of photography when I get my hands
on such a device.

Dan K.