Subject: Re: Probs of Accurate Grading
From: "Roger Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 08:37:23 -700

With alacrity, Patrick Sobalvarro wrote:

>How many pluses can there be after an exc before you get to mint-?

I've wondered the same thing. To further complicate the situation,
Don has frequently used something like exc+++/mint-. Now if three
pluses is next to mint-, how can 6 or 7 pluses not also be shown as
/mint-.

I emailed Don a couple of months ago asking if he couldn't clean up
his grading, but no answer. To his credit, I've always found
Chatterton to be a totally ethical vendor who grades conservatively
and stands by his word.

Like Stephan said, it's difficult to quantify, but I sure wish that
we would only see one system used. Then, the only variable would be
how the dealer rates within that system. Not wishing to appear too
parochial about it, I happen to think the LHSA ratings would be a
good set of ratings to useas a standard.
- --
Roger Beamon
       Naturalist & Photographer
       Docent: Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum