Subject: Censorship issue
From: "Brian Levy" <dlevy@worldy.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 18:25:14 +0000

As I stated, it is my opinion only. While the Feds and other gov'ts
haven't figured out how to do it yet, watch. Many in the process of
reporting their fruits of their efforts to the gov't and paying for
the privilege of living, should remember on the second go around, the
Supreme Court struck down income taxation. The Feds got is right on
the 3rd go around (the first actually being the Civil War).  Like the
net, gov'ts now cooperate and have cross border treaties for all
sorts of things. Look at history, and realize that gov't have not
allowed unfettered citizen activity for long. It is counter to the
very concept of government.

I am NOT a proponent of censorship, whether it is on the net, tv,
printed matter, artwork, etc. But, as a parent, it is my
responsibility to bring up my child in a responsible manner so that
he has certain values which will mold him into a mature, honest,
ethical and person sensitive to the his individualilty and the rights
of others. I can to some degree control the timing for him to become
informed as to certain of what you describe as realities through
monitoring his television, books, etc. I understand your position
regarding the net, but it does not relieve me of my parental
responsibiltiy. I can close off whole areas of the net and open them
up as he grows and matures to a point that he is capable of absorbing
and handling questionable content, but this photo group and others
like it are of current interest and topical since he loves
photography with a passion. While much of what is discussed passes
him by, he is absorbing the general concepts and learning.

The photo groups we subscribed to all are about the art of photography
or the technical. The other groups have members who have put up there
own sites and offered the url to them. The members are free to go to
them or not. In this way our positions are both addressed with no
loss of rights of the other.

The issue then is not of censorship, or content, but of structure.

I understand the conflicting interests and issues related to this
matter and that while started as a result of the question of moving
this group to a newsgroup it is not related to the common passion of
the members. OUt of consideration for the members, if anyone would like to further discuss this topic with
me further, please e-mail privately.
Brian Levy, J.D.
Scarborough Ont.