Subject: Re: A Couple of Nasty Screws
From: colin <colinmi@fast.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 00:50:35 -0600

Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 22:55:16 -0600
From: colin <colinmi@fast.net>
To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

Ben Holmes wrote:

> I figured I'd get the most responses with that subject. Sorry, couldn't
> resist. Now I suppose someone will say I'm a child or something...
>
> Anyway, Eric Welch sent me a straight sided zoom finder marked Wetzlar. On
> the back there are four screws (the nasty ones I refered to earlier), two of
> which have been torn up pretty badly by a mean person with a screw driver
> that didn't fit. It looks as if the screws were exposed to the sweat of
> someone's brow and have rusted in place. The slot is destroyed, the threads
> are rusty and I'm at a loss.
>
> Anybody have a slick way of removing screws like this? The finder is a bit
> foggy, otherwise in okay shape. I'd like to open it up and see if it can be
> cleaned.
>
> Any ideas would be helpful.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ben W. Holmes
>
> Boulder, CO
> USA
>
> bholmes@frii.com

Ben,

A little bit of penetrating oil and time.  Failing that, a well fitting
screwdriver and a modest tap straight on axis of the screw should loosen
them.  If the slot is completely buggered, cut another perpendicular to
the original with a very fine bit on a Dremel. (Carefully is the key
word.)

It may be helpful to have some soothing music playing in the room.  And
don't swear in front of the object of frustration.  Go into another room
and vent your wrath.  This decreases the chances of doing something
stupid to the piece.  This may make the people in the next room a bit
uncomfortable though.

Good Luck and Patience,

Colin