Subject: Harley Davidson thrives (off topic)
From: creadick@mindspring.com (Nowell & Jennifer Creadick)
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 09:15:50 -0500 (EST)

Don Bledsoe wrote about Harley Davidson upgrading their product to compete
successfully in today's market...Actually Don they got the US government to
pass such high import taxes on Japanese motorcycles ( 50% range I think)
that, at that time, it made their bikes, especially the Sportster, a much
better buy than the competing Japanese products.  I think that move by the
government did buy them time and money to truly upgrade their bikes to the
point where they are now much more technologically competitive than they
were.  They are, of course, now enjoying a world wide, almost faddish
demand.    Nowell  (BMW R90/6, '74 Sportster, 69 Triumph Bonneville)

Chapel Hill, NC

Although love may fail, courtesy should prevail.