Subject: Re: Viewfinder Policies
From: "Roger Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 13:00:22 -700

> This just isn't true, Roger.  Randy was canned the last time
> precisely because he insisted on running items of less than pure
> "collector" interest, and Roy was installed to RESTORE the collector
> bias of the journal.  I have voluminous FAX correspondence objecting
> to this policy, but Roy was absolutely adamant.  That's why a new
> Membership Survey was held shortly after Roy took over VF.  This
> showed about a 2/3 collector bias in the membership.  Roy
> consistently avoided user topics during his tenure.  Now that Randy
> is back, expect a vastly greater user content than has been the
> practice.
>
> I discussed this with Randy some weeks back when we met in Dayton.

Sure hasn't been my take on what I've seen in the last several year's
worth of VIEWFINDER that I've had access to since becoming a member,
Marc. I admit to a short history so far, and will be refining my
opinion as time progresses, no doubt.

If the 2/3 bias in favor of collectors is true, they must have all
stayed home from the Tucson annual meeting in Tucson last October.
My impression was that the _overwhelming_ majority present were
users. It *is* possible that they were that third catagory of member,
the user/collector. If so, they were exhibiting themselves as users
for that affair.
- --
Roger Beamon
       Naturalist & Photographer