Subject: Got My Traveling Tripod
From: Richard Clompus <rclompus@voicenet.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 14:27:05 -0500

Dear fellow LugNuts,

After much trial and tribulation, I bought the Gitzo G126 Sport Series
tripod yesterday. The specs are as follows:

closed height  15 inches
maximum height  53 3/4 inches
weight 3 lbs
each leg has three extendable sections
center column has two extendable sections (one inside the other for greater
height)

It seems sturdy, lightweight and appears to have the quality I was looking
for.  I paid $235 USD from a local stocking dealer.  The tripod warranty is
supposed to be for my lifetime and multiple reincarnations.  I put a small
Bogen ball head #3009 on it for another $35.  I also use the Leitz tall
ball head but it is a bit long for traveling.  I have a few Tiltall tripods
and a Bogen 3001 that are heavier and not as well suited for travel.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.  I will try to put together some type
of strap so I can put it on my Donke or Billingham bag for lots of walking.
 It is helpful to have such as large and well educated group to ask advice.
 I don't mind spending money to get something I need.  I don't even mind
spending a lot of money when it seems necessary to get high quality.   What
I dislike most is to spend money on something and then find out later that
another product was available, more appropriate for my needs and I didn't
even know about it.  That's when I feel I made a bad purchase.

I wonder whether Leitz still makes a small ball and socket head?

Richard
Richard Clompus, OD
West Chester, PA, Pennsylvania