Subject: Re: What If? M Design/SPX
From: Stephen Gandy <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 18:48:12 -0800

Jim Bielecki wrote:

> Has anybody out there ever wondered if Leica would consider building
> some future rangefinder Leica on a totally different chassis?  When you
> consider that the current M-6 is derived from the M-3 of 1954 (and
> designed years before that), you've got to wonder if some engineer at
> Solms has an idea for a TOTALLY NEW Leica, one that isn't based on the
> current M chassis (but keeping the M lens mount).  Heresy?  Or has years
> of no competition (until recently) bred complacency among the Leica
> design crew?

The mind can easily go wild with What if Leicas, but if we are not a
designers or decision makers at Leitz, it really doesn't make any
difference.

Personally I am more interested in:

	How much longer will Leica stay in the camera business?
	Who is most likely to buy them out?
	How long will parts be available?

I tend to think that the M chassis Leica would have
> disappeared years ago if Canon, Nikon and the old Contax hadn't given up
> on rangefinders like they all did back in the 60's (competition usually
> dictates constant improvement).  Comments?

In 1957 Nikon brought out the landmark SP design.  Its strong points
included:

1) built in finders for 28-135  (not equaled by Leica until the 1980
M4P)
2) all bodies could take electric motors (not equaled until the M4-2 of
1977
3) after 1959, a titanium shutter curtain which virtually
	never needs replacement from normal wear and tear

In 1959, Nikon produced its landmark SPX prototype rangefinder, it was

1) built on the larger F body casting--presumably
	it shared the F's motor and 250 exposure bulk back
2) HAD BUILT IN TTL METERING
3) Had a new bayonet type mount
4) HAD A ZOOM FINDER FROM 35 TO 135 WITH PARALLAX CORRECTION.

Only a few SPX were built.  The only one I know of today is at Nikon,
Tokyo.  I wrote to Herbert Keppler, who remembered being shown the
camera.  At least one was sold many years ago at a Los Angeles camera
show to an overjoyed Japanese buyer.

Had Nikon produced the SPX, it is very safe to say that the Leica would
have had to push the envelope to remain competitive.

Stephen Gandy