Subject: Re: Question About M4 Cameras
From: ireland@blazenet.net (Robert Brummett)
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 17:44:18 -0500

>>post-discontinuance black M4s-if they exist at all. I ask because when I
>>bought my M4 in '74 or '75 I was told that my camera was "one of those."
>>I've used it almost every day since then and don't regret the "sacrilege,"
>>but wonder about the truth of what I was told.
>
>Robert,
>
>Leitz Germany really stop making M-4 Chrom  in 1971, and it was because a
>production line for military M-4 was made in Canada, that Leitz had the
>possibility to revive the M4 in black chrome all made in Canada .(According to
>several publications about the Leica)
>-4.070 with the engraving Leitz Wetzlar including 1400 - 50th anniversary
>1380001-1381650 1974
>1384001-1384600 1974
>1413351-1415000 1975
>1443001-1443170 1975
>-1750  with the engraving Leitz Midland Canada including 350 - 50th anniversary
>1381651-1382600 1974
>1412551-1413350 1975
>
>Lucien

Lucien-

Many thanks for help in answering my question. Exclusive of the Leitz
Midland 50th Anniversary cameras, we seem to be talking about 4065
cameras--assuming the numbers consecutively. That's 2248 in '74 and 1817 in
'75. (Mine is 13809xx, so is from '74 and marked Wetzlar.) That's quite a
few cameras, and pretty much deep-sixes the "made up a few from repair
parts" boondoggle.

Thanks again. And thanks to Peter, too, for his kind help.

Best regards,

Robert