Subject: Re: Lens Cap Restore
From: Steven Blutter <sblutter@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 08:27:43 -0600

Arnold Don Abravanel wrote:

> Has anyone got a way of invigorating the felt on the inside the lens cap.
> What do you do to restore when they start getting loose.
>
> Arnold

I've restored a few by buying a bit of knit (it doesn't unravel) velvet
at a typical fabric store (picking a color is fun).  Then backing the
fabric with a coating that will serve as a gluing surface, so the coming
glue doesn't absorb, thereby stiffening the velvet nap.  I used gesso
(spelling?) that painters use to 'size' their canvases.  Use the old
velvet for a template, cut a new strip of the prepared fabric & make
sure it fits with no overlap.  Prepare the inside surface of the lens
cap with sandpaper.  I then used contact cement on both the fabric and
the lens cap, waited the appropriate time and carefully put the new
velvet in place.  I liked the contact cement because you can clean off
any excess.  There is a tiny bit of rollover at the open end of the
cap you can use as a guide.  You'll see this when you get the old fabric
off.  Have solvent nearby as its easier to clean when fresh. Also, use a
disposable little brush for 'painting' the glue to the inside lip of the
cap - neatness counts for a satisfying, pro job.
good luck, its great to not worry about a cap coming off and rolling
down a hill or into a sewer!
steven blutter