Subject: New Leica Grip/New M7 From Leitz
From: Richard Clompus <rclompus@voicenet.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 14:11:30 -0500

Dear Fellow LugNuts,

I just received my new Leica M grip from Tamarkin this morning.  Great
service from Eric Bohman. That fellow knows his Leicas and comes through
when you need something special.

The grip is a very interesting attachment for the M Leica.  It securely
screws into the tripod socket creating a different handhold for the right
hand.  It also creates a new centered tripod socket with a metal bushing.
Although the grip is black plastic, it is very well made with a rubber
botton lining that pushes up against the bottom plate of the Leica.  The
front of the grip has the same texture as the surface of the black M6.

If these grips are popular, and I have every reason to believe they will
be, it may send a signal to Leica in Solms that a built-in grip may be
acceptable to Leica users that will eventually hold one or two Lithium
batteries and some electronics.  The Leica M7 could have an electronically
controlled shutter, aperture preferred auto exposure system that would work
with all current Leica lenses and still have the feel of the current M6.
If the electronic shutter and circuitry could be installed within the basic
M6 body along with a built-in grip to provide a little more space, it may
be a very popular design.

I will always be fond of the mechanical rangefinder Leicas but would
certainly purchase an electonic version if possible.  I guess if I owned an
Ur-Leica, I would not put a grip on one.  However, electonics seem to offer
some advantages for those that want it.  Those that own Minolta CLE cameras
don't seem very willing to part with them.  I often see used Leica CL's or
Leitz/Minolta CL's for sale in journals but only rarely the Minolta CLE.
I'm not a collector but my wife is not convinced.

Maybe that Leitz is done with all of the development work on the R8, they
can get down to business and put together a new M7 so that I can have the
same choice they give to SLR users - such as R6.2 vs. R8.

Richard
Richard Clompus, OD
West Chester, Pennsylvania, USA