Subject: Re: 40 years on
From: ireland@blazenet.net (Robert Brummett)
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 21:15:14 -0500

>"40 years on when afar and asunder, parted are those who are with us today,
>when I look back and forgetfully wonder what I was like in my work and my
>play. Then it may seem it will often come over me
>glimses of notes like the catch of a song.
>Visions of boyhood will float them before me 20 and 30 and 40 years on."
>
>Dan,

>SRT-101(bought second hand in 1969)  wasn't stolen a few years ago I'm sure
>that I would still be using it.<<<
>
>I think you misinterpret me. I'm not denigning that "things" will or could
>last 40 years, in fact, my SRT 101 bought in 70 is still working and saw
>service with my brother-in-law last year. Its just that I cannot think of
>anything save my christening spoon that is still in real USE, ie my major
>item for a job. One of my great faults is buying things which I plan to use
>for "years", spending more than I need to and then being either
>disappointed when the thing fails, or disappointed in myself for "wanting"
>or "needing" an new version; My 9000 SAAB springs to mind!
>
>Now if a 20 year old buys a 60 year old camera and uses this as his major
>piece of equipment, it is not the same thing. Hands up anyone who has
>anything still in "daily" use that THEY have been using 40 years. Might
>prove an interesting thread. Oh and sorry Marc but you missed the point
>too, but I do like the fire in the belly. My geography is fine but thanks
>for asking :-)
>
>Cheers
>

>Alastair Firkin
>NOTE new URL
>http://users.netconnect.com.au/~firkin/AGFhmpg.html

Well, I kinda hesitate to get into this one, what with "political
correctness" and all, but I gotta put my 2-centavos in. When I was about
four years old my Dad used to occasionally let me look at his little .38
Colt Police Positive and I remember feeling--yes, at 4!--what a beautiful
little tool it was. So precise, so lovingly well made. I've watched this
"old-stuff" thread developing for many days, dreading the time when I
couldn't hold out any longer and would have to chime in. Misspent youth or
not, I've spent 50 years and more in the company of fine firearms (as well
as cameras), and if you want a tool that will last 40, 50, 100 years or
more, a well-made firearm will fill the bill. I spend a whole lot of time
in places where a big revolver is both comfort and good sense. One of my
prime, well-reasoned choices?-- a Colt .45 from 1892. Sound and crisp as
the day she was minted. Is it asking too much to expect a piece of fine
machinery to last more than ten years? I don't think so, and I won't give
up easily on that concept.

I'm sure the topic of "guns" inserted into this group will earn me some big
wet noodles, but I thought the analogy was appropriate. Go ahead! I can
take it! I'm sure our European friends particularly would like to take a
few licks.

- -Robert