Subject: Re: Re[2]: Which M camera?
From: Paul Schliesser <paulsc@eos.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 97 13:24:49 -0000

>> Do you think M4-P was built under the same quality as M4?  I don't like M4
>> because I probably will use 21mm in the future.

None of the M-series bodies have a 21mm frame--the widest-angle frameline
is the 28mm on the M4-P and M6, so the M4 would work as well as any other
body. You need an accessory viewfinder for 21mm, and the older 21mm
lenses project far enough into the body that they block the meter in the
M6 and cannot be used with the M5. You need to use the f/2.8 21mm with
the M6 if you want to use the meter.

You might be able to use an M4-P or M6 and "guess" at the 21mm frame,
using the area outside of the 28mm frameline, and avoid using a
viewfinder. I've heard of people doing this with the 35mm frame and a
28mm lens on the M4 and M2.

BTW, Leica originated the standard accessory shoe that is now on top of
almost all cameras. It's generally used as a hot shoe now, but originally
was used for viewfinders, rangefinders and other accessories.

- - Paul