Subject: Re: Did my text attachment hurt anybody?
From: Oddmund Garvik <garvik@i-t.fr>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 97 03:03:39 -0800

At 07:34 01/03/1997 +0100, Nicolas Levinton wrote:
>I received this private e-mail of somebody I am not going to mention
his/her name:

>>I would be most appreciative if, in the future, you refrained from posting
>>attachments or binaries to your LUG messages.  These take FOREVER to
>>download and, as they don't interest many of the members, constitute=
 wasted
>>bandwidth.
>
>The annoying attachment that this guy refers to, was on my recent message
titled "a bit of >history", and it=B4s a text file, in word format, just for
its ease of use, and for if somebody >considerd it interesting enough to
keep.  The text is four or five times shorter than a big >percentage of the
messages I receive daily from LUG. But that=B4s not the point. Particularily
the >guy that sent me this happens to be "wasting bandwidth" all the time
with issues like personal >politic views, and a long etc which by the way
don=B4t interest ME a single bit but I download >them anyway.
>So I consider my message and its attachment to be of interest to a
potential big part of the >group, and though I don=B4t think I=B4ll feel the
need of doing it again, but if I do I will.

>Unless of course a BIG PART of the group finds it annoying, and expresses
so PUBLICLY.

>Sorry for the inconveniences.

Don't be sorry, Nicolas. You have the right to post whatever you want here,
ON-TOPIC, or OFF-TOPIC, interesting, or not. That is a fundamental principle
for free speech. If it is interesting there will be follow ups, if not it
will die out. Who decides what is right, or wrong?=20

What I think is a bit annoying now, is the way you counterattack. Why don't
you deal in private with the guy who did send you the message you are
referring to? Instead you are complaining to all of us, referring vaguely to
such popular items as "personal political views" and so on, without naming
anybody. This is a way of spreading suspicion and trying to blow up a minor
problem. Don't forget that the guy who sent you the private mail also has
the right to tell you what he thinks...   =20

Once again LugNuts: Stop complaining over chitchats. Never forget the
<Delete> button and the most special of all folders: TRASH.

Oddmund

Chinon, France