Subject: Re: Off Topic--Fiber Flattening
From: bholmes@frii.com (Ben Holmes)
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 1997 11:13:55 -0700 (MST)

>If you have access to a dry-mounting press (or better yet, two presses), let
>the print air-dry until it is almost dry, then place it between two sheets
>of matt board, and place in a heated press for about 30 seconds.  Remove
>sandwich, and place in COLD press until cooled off.  I only have one press,
>so I simply place hot matt boards under weights for a few minutes after
>removing it from the hot press.  The prints will be smooth, but will have a
>tendency to curl slightly.  When matted, this curl will disappear.
>
>Dan C.

I put the entire stack of prints (10 - 20) in the dry mount press on low and
let them sit for 10 min.. This works pretty well, although again a slight
curl will form. Also if you dry your prints face down they curl less. The
back side (uncoated) holds more water and therefore dries more slowly that
the emulsion side - this is the main cause of curl. By putting them face
down the back will dry at a faster rate, one more equal to the emulsion side.

Regards,

Ben W. Holmes

Boulder, CO
USA