Subject: Re: Definitive Cleaning Materials & Techniques
From: "Peter Jon White" <pjwhite@tiac.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 1997 22:20:32 +0000

> What is the best way to clean a Leica lens? I'm looking for brand name
> recommendations and the best technique. Any suggestions?

> David W. Almy

There is no reason to be overly concerned about the lens coatings on
Leitz lenses, or any other high quality lenses for that matter. I use
Kodak lens cleaning fluid and paper with fine results. I'm always
getting salt spray on my lenses and they have to be cleaned
frequently as a result.

Roll the tissue up and tear it in two. Double up the tissue and soak
the torn end in cleaning fluid. After blowing any loose dirt off the
surface, gently wipe the surface of the lens with the fluid soaked
tissue. Next, while it's still wet, take another tissue that's been
torn and mopistened the same way and repeat the process.

At this point all of the dirt should be off the lens. Another piece
of tissue also torn but dry should be used to dry the surface of the
lens.

If when you've finished you have any streaks, moisten another tissue
slightly and wipe the lens again. That should do it.

Keeping a filter on the lens dramatically reduces the need for
cleaning the lens, but of course you then have to clean the filter. I
almost always use filters but even changing filters on the shore or on
a windy day can result in dirt on the lens.

The important thing is to have the first tissue wet enough to carry
off any dirt into the tissue without scratching the lens coating.
Once all the grit is off the lens, all you are concerned with is
cleaning any oils left behind.

Peter Jon White