Subject: Re: Leica M Winders
From: Paul Schliesser <paulsc@eos.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 97 03:24:22 -0400

>I'm interested in getting a winder to fit my M-6 and M4-P.  I've heard a
>lot about the winders available and most of the comments have not been
>favorable.  Can anyone enlighten me re: the winders in general as well as
>specific complaints re:jamming, noise and tremendous torque (jerking)
>when using these winders.

Mark,

I have the old M4-2 winder. This version only works with the M4-2; there
was a later M4-2 winder and an "M" winder that both work with all three
cameras.

The M4-2 winder is pretty unsophisticated. One annoying thing that it
took me a while to figure out is that you need to keep the shutter button
depressed until the shutter has closed. The winder will oafishly advance
once you let up on the shutter realease, whether the camera is ready or
not. This is not usually a problem when shooting at normal hand-held
speeds, but at slower speeds (under 1/30 or so) you need to be sure to
press the shutter and then hold it. If you let up too soon, the winder
makes a loud thunk and jams, and you need to manually advance to reset
it. It is a loud and unpleasant sound, accompanied by a jolt as the motor
suddenly stops; the first time this happened, I thought I had mangled the
insides of my camera.

I can see why Leitz beefed up the film transport for this winder, because
it seems pretty violent. It's also not especially quiet. However, once
you are aware of how to use it properly, it seems reliable, although I
have not used mine very hard. As I mentioned, I use it only on a tripod
with the Visoflex. I bought it because I found a really cheap user; I
wouldn't pay too much for it.

The newer winders behave differently, and are capable of continuous
firing. I have heard people complain that there is a "kick" on the
shutter release when these winders advance, but I don't have any
first-hand knowledge of this.

Several things that I've read indicate that there are both mechanical and
electrical connections in the body for the winder, but dammed if I can
see anything other than the dog where the motor couples to the camera
base and a little pin that extends when the shutter is depressed and
activates the motor.

I was amused to see that the M4-2 winder has a red metal Leitz dot on the
base (like the one on some camera bodies), and there is another one on
the base of the motor, _inside_ the battery compartment.

Speaking of Leica dots, how come in the old days, the M-cameras had
script logos and model number engravings on the top plate, where they
would be hidden by the meter, and on the M6, the meter moved inside and
now the top plate is blank?

- - Paul