Subject: Re: Super Angulon 21mm vs Elmarit
From: henningw@portal.ca (Henning J. Wulff)
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 13:06:07 -0800 (PST)

Mark Axness wrote:

>About 20 years ago I bought a new 21mm f/3.4 Super Angulon-M that I found
>to be absolutely tack sharp.  Needing money for college, I sold the lens
>(as well as all my other Leica stuff...sob).  Now I'm in the market for
>another 21mm lens.  Is the 21mm f/2.8 Elmarit up to the same optical qaulity?
>  I'm not concerned re: Super Angulon inability to meter with an M-6.

I have both, and if you do not have an M5 or M6, I would suggest sticking
with the SA. The Elmarit, due to its retrofocus construction, has somewhat
better eveness of illumination, but it also suffers most of the other
problems associated with a retrofocus design (not to a very large degree,
but they are present) . The SA is sharper, has essentially no distortion,
and is a lot more compact, especially when on a camera. Also, using filters
with the Elmarit is a problem for me, as you have to use 60mm filters with
the current model, and the only other lens I have that uses this size is
the Noctilux, with which I don't use filters. The series 7 filters for the
SA are much cheaper and more readily available and generally useable. The
SA with hood also does not intrude into the viewfinder.

So I use the Elmarit when I use the M6 with metering, and I use the SA when
I get fussy or have to filter. I had intended to sell the SA when I got the
Elmarit, but I'll keep it.

   *
  /|\     Henning J. Wulff
 /###\      Architecture