Subject: Replacing Leica M Body Skin: Part 2: Finishing the Job
From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 07:51:03 -0800

This became a do it yourself project......my mechanic wanted $85 to do the
labor... I'm pretty handy, so I took on the job myself.  Note that I will
have a good 5 hours ino this repair, so the $85 was a fair cost of his
time.

PART I : MATERIALS and PREPARATION
For all of you interested in the replacement of body skin ( Leather?
Vulcanite? Whatever?)
My experience from Leitz :
Body skin replacement IS available.  Labor adds about $80 to the skin cost.
There is a die cut for M3 and another for M6... I do not know what other
bodies.  Buy directly from Leitz.
M3= $50 including back door skin..... Specific configurations of M3 have
different hole patterns....
M6= $40 including back door skin..... I wonder why it is less...???

The old Vulcanite from my M3 crystalized and was crumbling from the body.
My body is in the shop for an overhaul, so I am working on the body shell
without any mechanicals.

I removed the Vulcanite with care using a putty knife.  This took a good 2
hours using a lot of care not to gouge the body or myself.  Using dental
tools ( Received from an understanding dentist) got into all the little
corners.
Most of the glue was removed by scraping the surface with the dental tools.
 The glue had crystalized, so the bonds to the metal were not that tight.
Do not gouge the metal.... scrape with the side of the tool, not the point.
Finally, I removed the last vestiges of the old "glue" with acetone... in
an open, outdoor area. Alcohol,
water and paint remover had little to no effect.  Acetone seems to be the
best solvent that I have found.  The glue dissolves pretty readily, leaving
a really smooth body.

The paint or whatever makes an M3 interior black
does not dissolve in acetone.

Part II FINISHING the JOB

The new skin comes with a peel and stick backing......The material had a
very Japanese sounding name printed on the backing.  The skin was 1 piece.
On my body, I have a surround on the lens release button.  The die cut skin
had the wrong size cutout.  I had a punch the right size, so I cut a new
hole on my own.

I peeled the backing off half the new skin.  Working from the frame
selector lever, I carefully aligned the hole pattern... remember the
backing glue is very tenacious, allowing for no mistakes.  The skin went on
with a perfect fit.

I applied pressure to the entire skin by hand, then used a plastic chop
stick  as a burnishing tool.  The smallest areas were burnished with a
small sliver of hardwood.

The back door required a paint job.... someone had removed all the black
paint.  A trip to the local auto parts store got me a container of touch-up
paint in gloss black.  4 coats of thinly applied paint finished this
off...(remember that this is a user camera, so perfection of paint
application was not required.  I just hated to see the chrome back.)

I also got some flat black paint, and touched up the body shell and back in
those areas where there was a bit of brightness.

The back skin is not adhering at all,,,, the glue is a different material (
the grain patern is not a perfect match for the front either....Leica needs
to improve this.....Why not use the same skin material as the body skin
with the tenacious glue backing?)   This is a small issue and will be taken
care of shortly either with a new glue backing or a new back skin.

The body looks and feels wonderful.  It may not be authentic or perfect,
but it is MY Leica that I can use with pleasure..... and it looks 20 years
newer than when I got it!

Now off to the repair shop to get the guts put back in.........50 MM
Summicron should arrive today.

Cost of project:
M3 Body :      $ 329   Bought with jammed shutter and 40% of the body skin
missing from NYC Mail Order.
Skin ..........         50
Shutter repair    149
Paint                    5
total-------->       $533.... fully reconditioned single stroke M3; S/N
1,105,XXX, with new skin, shutter job, and new owner.....not bad!!!

Thank You
Frank Filippone
red735i@worldnet.att.net

Thank You