Subject: Re: Serial numbers of Leica M lenses
From: Paul Schliesser <paulsc@eos.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 97 00:10:57 -0400

>I wonder if anybody is able to give me a formula to calculate the
>approximate years of production of the following Leica M lenses I own:
>
>-  Summicron 1:2/35, # 2395022
>-  Tele-Elmarit 1:2,8 / 90, # 3216620 (Canada)

Jussi,

Several Leica books include tables of years and serial numbers. There is
no formula that I know of; lens production varied quite a bit from year
to year.

The Summicron is from 1970, the Tele-Elmarit is from 1982.

I looked this up in _Identifying Leica Cameras_, by Ghester Sartorius.
The photos of the cameras in this book are by Lino Manfrotto, who makes
the tripods and heads that are sold under the Bogen name in North America.

- - Paul