Subject: Re: Snobby Leica/MFvsAF
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 1997 09:08:05 -0800

David,

Wonderful "war" story.   It makes my little jaunt seem like a walk in
the park.  Sometimes just being there is so much of the picture.  Being
there with skill is another level.

I agree with you about the F5 etc..  I have sort of resigned myself to
having to own an extensive Nikon system just for those occasional jobs
where AF and one handed zooms are vital.  After looking at new Leica
prices, especially for stuff like the 70-180, the Nikon begins to look
like cheap throwaways.   And I don't like rentals much, though I do it a
lot, especially to carry backup I seldom need.  But little of my work
these days would be very convenient with Ms.  So the ongoing Leica
delema--Do we get great lenses and sacrifice features or get wonderful
features and sacrifice lens quality.

Interestingly, most of my clients would be more impressed with a Nikon
or Hasselblad than a Leica.  Name recognition.

Donal Philby
San Diego