Subject: Re: LTMs and leaders
From: dwp@deltanet.com
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 97 22:36:08

In <3.0.32.19970307164456.00684cb4@xman.wharton.upenn.edu>, on 03/07/97 at
04:44 PM,
   Steve Kobrin <kobrin2@xman.wharton.upenn.edu> said:

>I just got a IIIf red dial and am looking forward to using it.  I do have
>a very elementary question:  is it really necessary to cut the film
>leader to extend it to the full four inches as shown on the diagram in
>the camera or can the IIIf and other screw mounts be loaded leaving the
>modern shorter leaders as they are?  I realize that loading LTMs can be a
>challenge (I had a IIIc in the late 60s), but wonder if cutting back the
>leader really makes much of a difference.  Any advice would be
>appreciated.

>Still not sure why I wanted a IIIf when I have an M3, but it certainly is
>a neat camera.

>Steve

Steve,

You need to cut it so that when the cassette and spool are inserted the
film does NOT engage the top sprocket, only the lower one.  Considerably
less than 4 inches.  You can easlily do it by eye, I recommend that the
cut does not go through a sprocket hole, rather bisects them.

Best regards, Dennis Painter

Experience is a tough teacher. It gives the test before the lesson.
- -unknown