Subject: Re: Leica list, not gun list
From: Steven Blutter <sblutter@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 1997 09:12:54 -0600

Jim Brick wrote:

> At 11:51 AM 3/8/97 +0000, you wrote:
> >
> >May I have your attention please.
> >
> >...you may argue endlessly the merits of various devices for
> >making people more porous, animals less ambulatory,
> >buildings go boom, and other assorted implements of mass destruction.
> >
> >Thank you very much.
> >
> >Peter Jon White
> >

> I agree that this is a LEICA list and should be kept just that! But I have
> to answer what appears to be a really ignorant statement.
>
> There are as many (I'm sure more) people who love, cherish, talk about,
> use, etc. firearms in exactly the same way we love, cherish, talk about,
> and use Leicas. You cannot have a "My passion is better than yours"
> attitude. If you do, you just do not understand what it is all about!
>
> Your immediate disparagement of the firearm by blurting out "making people
> more porous, animals less ambulatory,
> buildings go boom, and other assorted implements of mass destruction" tells
> me that YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT THIS IS ALL ABOUT. It's about passion.
> It's about understanding. It's about giving and receiving (sharing). It
> makes absolutely no difference what the implement is. Camera, Automobile,
> Firearm, Fine Pen, Clock, whatever!
>
> Your single minded idea that the use of firearms causes damage is no
> different than the notion "all camera are used in paparazzi(sp) attacks,
> all automobile owners drive recklessly and kill other people, all Fine Pen
> owners write death threats." Absolutely preposterous. For your information,
> the automobile is the single most deadly apparatus that we, humans, own and
> use. And what about drugs? Firearms are WAY DOWN ON THE LIST of "stuff that
> is used to cause death and destruction."
>
> I happen to have a deep passion for Cameras (Leica and Linhof), Automobiles
> (BMW), Pens (Montblanc), Firearms (Winchester, Browning, S&W, and Colt.) I
> own 18 firearms. I'm 59 now, my first shot was fired at 18 months. I am a
> vegetarian and do not shoot animals or people. Threaten my family and I'll
> make an exception. Ever hear of target shooting? One of the largest
> "passions" in America. I own tons of Leica-R and Linhof 4x5 equipment. I
> own five BMW's. And I own a gaggle of Montblanc pens. I must be really
> really mean!
>
> And you must really lead a dull life!
>
> Get some passion. Get some understanding. Trip the shutter. Squeeze the
> trigger. Open your eyes. Open your mind. Open your heart.
>
> Jim

oh please... isn't this about making wonderful photographs with well
designed/manufactured equipment?  Are we going to start telling each
other which wrist watch tells 'better' time.  Camera as tool helps make
photographs - my passion.  Gun as tool makes what?  Holes in targets?

Back in the late 70's there was a performance artist in New York that
used guns to have himself 'shot'.  When a bullet finally hit him during
a show gone wrong - he it gave up - it hurt.  What's the point here?
I'm not sure.  We can avoid the messages referring to guns easily
enough.  I'm grateful to those of you that gave me advice on grease for
my lens - I just don't know or care about guns.  Maybe its because I've
always lived in cities where elements of life I try to avoid (crime and
punishmenht) are the ones with guns.

I must say though, that last month's ID (International Design) Magazine
article on gun design was 'cool'.  Made me wonder if James Bond would
have been a hit if carried an M-3 instead of a (brand name here) gun.

Apologies for the ramble - last night's fine wine...(another quality
issue).