Subject: Re: Harsh light
From: Dennis Painter <dwp@deltanet.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 1997 12:25:06 -0800

At 08:47 AM 3/9/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Dan Cardish wrote:
>>
>> At 09:27 PM 09-03-97 +0800, ADi wrote:
>> >Hi,
>> >
>> >I have been placing my fungus infected lenses and m3 rangefinder under a
>> >table lamp in the hope that the fungus may die. The reason why I am doing
>> >this is that in the past, when I did not use a lens for a period of time,
>> >some fungus started growing, when I started using it again however, it
>> >noticably diminished. My hypothesis is that exposure to light kills the
>> >fungus. Any comments??
>> >
>> >Also, what can be done to preserve photographic equipment in high humidity
>> >places like Malaysia?? Any ideas??
>>
>> I have heard that UV radiation kills lens fungus.  So exposure to sunlight
>> would be preferable.  Just make sure that you don't start any fires! ;-)
>>
>> Try getting a supply of silica gel packets and store them with your lenses.
>> Make certain that you charge them up periodically to drive out accumulated
>> moisture.
>>
>> Dan C.
>
>how do you'charge' silica gel packs
>thnks...

Heat them up in an oven.  Heat drives the moisture out of the silica gel.
Then the silica gel will absorb more moisture.

How long seems to be the problem.  I have seen times from one hour to
overnight.  It probably depends on the size of the silica gel packet.  I
have one here that I got from packages of ICs that says 245 to 275 degrees
F for 12 hours.  One unit, I weighed it at 1.5 oz.

Hope this helps, Dennis