Subject: RE: Astrophotography
From: gmrobinson@mmm.com
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 19:09:36 -0600

At 03:25 PM 3/15/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Don,
>
>Thanks for the advice. But the problem is that Comet Hale-Bopp does not
>have a very long tail (10 - 20 degrees from a dark sky). Using a 35 or
>50 mm lens will only show a small blob of the comet in the frame.

I photographed Comet Hale-Bopp last night with a Leica M3 camera with a 90
mm Tele-Elmarit-M lens with a lens hood, aperture set at f4.0, focus on
infinity, and Tri-X film.  I developed the film for seven minutes with
ID-11 diluted 1:1.  The comet was much brighter than I expected.  My
shortest exposure was 15 seconds which was almost too much.  The comet
noticeably moved during the exposures longer than thirty seconds.  The
negatives with 15 second exposure were quite good; they show the tail very
nicely.  I am just about to walk out in my yard and rephotograph it with
400 Delta film using a series of shorter exposures.

Glen Robinson