Subject: Re: Carrying ... and remaining inconspicuous
From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@bayarea.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 97 08:25:32 -0800

>Personally, I prefer the black version of the M6. It has always seemed more
>sleek  and more functional to me. However, the colour of it does not really
>have any effect on peoples's reponses as I have found. The shiny titanium
>version seems to attract as little attention as the black one. This was my
>reservation in the first place of getting a titanium one. I think wheather
>the camera attracts attention has more to do with the way the photographer
>handles it and himself. Any Comments?

I think this is true. Certainly there are some situations when the black
camera will be less conspicuous as well, but how you handle the camera is
hugely important if you are trying to keep from being the focal point in
a crowd. I tend to make all settings and such at waist level, including
focus by scale and depth of field, frame the scene carefully with my eye
and only briefly pull the camera up to view and expose an image.
Sometimes, with 35-50mm lenses, I don't even bother to bring the camera
to my eye: I rely on my sense of what the lens can see to do the framing
by just aiming it carefully.

I've not noticed any major difference in the reactions of people between
my shiny cameras and my black ones, handled this way. Although some folks
who look at the shiny camera afterwards start oohing and aahing a bit. ;)

Godfrey