Subject: Re: R4 and R4S
From: David Young <youngs@IslandNet.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 14:16:36 -0800 (PST)

At 08:09 AM 18/03/97 PST, you wrote:
>     Hi,
>
>      Last night I was browsing through my binder for Leica info.  I found
>     two letters, one from Don Goldberg and another from Leica Technical
>     Information in relation to Leica R4 and R4S reliability.  Don said in
>     the letter that later R4 as well as R4S are very reliable because
>     Leitz responded to the first electronic problems of R4.  He also said
>     that the easiest way to tell the difference in R4 is that later R4 has
>     leather strip on the eyepiece.  Leica Technical Information also
>     mentioned in the letter that I should look for one with serial number
>     greater than 1.6 mil. (Actually the number he gave me was a little
>     less than 1.6 mil)  That implies that Leica fixed the R4 problem from
>     the serial number.
>
>      Several months ago, a lot of members were against R4 and R4S.
>     According to these two people, the later R4 and R4S is as reliable as
>     R4S-P.  Any more comments?
>
>     Regards,
>
>     David

David:

It is my understanding that the problems were not *completely* cured until
the R4S- mod 2 (known as the R4S-P in the USA).  These cameras are
identified on by MOD 2 or MOD P engraved on the hot-shoe. The R4-S was
simply an attempt to get rid of the bugs, by getting rid of some of the
functions!  It has apeture priority and manual only.

If you're looking to buy a used 'R' series - buy an R5. No troubles there!

I hope this helps...

Cheers!

David Young             |  The customer is always right.
Victoria, B.C. CANADA   |  Stubborn, ignorant perhaps, even
youngs@IslandNet.com    |  abysmally stupid.  But NEVER wrong!